Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Why Harold?


Does anyone remember the book Harold and the Purple Crayon from their childhood? It was by far my favorite book and besides Heidi, the only other book I even remember treasuring. I love that Harold has a blank slate to work with and he has the ability and responsibility to create his future reality. His path isn't marred by his past but he keeps his eyes forward, striving toward new adventure. There was something very safe about having the crayon that outlined the future. When he encountered fearful situations he used his crayon and creativity to find a safe solution. He did have the moon...he followed the moon because it helped him find the way home.

I walk each day upon a blank, clean slate because His mercies are new each morning...I am forgiven and walk with His righteousness upon me. Not matter what the day brings I co-create with God, a safe and creative solution for each circumstance. I walk with a purple crayon! I always know the way...the Way. As Harold kept his eye upon the moon for direction, I keep my eye on the Father and His plans and purposes for me. I talk to Him daily about direction and am reminded daily that He loves me and will faithfully guide my steps.

When I was beginning my own recovery from sexual abuse I started reading the book, Courage to Heal. At the time, I didn't realize my choice...but I picked up a purple colored pencil as I read through the book and used it to highlight passages. After a few years into recovery and feeling blessed with the progress of my journey, it hit me...the purple crayon got me through the toughest experience of my life! Every page of that book had purple markings leading me closer to healing and a safe path home. Thank you Harold for inspiring me to press forward into the path, knowing I will find the way home. Thank You God for showing me the way home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never read Harold, but I've been blessed to 'read' Kathy for years now and I like how you keep your eyes on Jesus! Great post!

J Joy B said...

i love this one!